A quick and easy home style fish curry after a long time.. The key is to using really fresh ingredients .. So here goes..
1. Get yourself the freshest fish you can lay your hands on – any firm white fish should do – about 500 gms – cut into 2 inch pieces.
2. Make a paste using 1 tsp mustard powder, 1 tsp water and 1 tsp natural yoghurt. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil – I used 2 tablespoons of mustard oil to smoking point, throw in a teaspoon of nigella seeds until they splutter.
4. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 2 green chillis and 2 large onions, finely sliced and sauté for 2 minutes. Now add 2 finely chopped tomatoes and sauté for another 3 minutes until the tomatoes release their sweetness and flavour.
5. Add the mustard paste, mix well and after 30 seconds add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt.
6. Gently slide in the fish pieces and let the gravy thicken and fish cook – takes about 4-5 minutes. Do not overcook the fish.
7. Taste and adjust seasonings if required.
8. Switch off the heat and add a handful of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with plain steamed rice.
#homestylefishcurry #sundaylunch #macherjhol #surreyfoodie #homemadehappiness