A trip to (the now late) Skyroom in Calcutta was a very very special treat indeed… a prawn or lobster Thermidor on the menu was the icing on our Baked Alaska.. On a much later trip, Mahera and I discovered Oh Calcutta’s Prawn Thermidor which was a close second to the original Skyroom version. On our last very short trip, we didn’t manage to make it to Oh Calcutta so decided to give this a go on Friday…
Coupled with some Butter Rice and the very enjoyable Now You See Me on Amazon, it made for a very fab evening indeed.. The only con is that we won’t look forward to our Prawn Thermidor so much in Calcutta.. perhaps we’ll just replace it with Daab Chingri!!!
- Make a slightly thick white sauce with 30 gms butter, 25 gms flour and 250 ml milk.
- Sauté some finely chopped garlic and shallots in a teeny bit of butter and then add large shelled prawns (heads off, tails on) and sauté fir another 2 minutes till they turn pink. Leave slightly undercooked.
- Add the white sauce to this and salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking dish or individual ramekins and then top with some freshly grated gruyere cheese. If you do not have gruyere then add any other mild cheese – cheddar is too strong and will overpower the Prawn taste.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes till the top is bubbling and is slightly browned.