A trip to (the now late) Skyroom in Calcutta was a very very special treat indeed… a prawn or lobster Thermidor on the menu was the icing on our Baked Alaska.. On a much later trip, Mahera and I discovered Oh Calcutta’s Prawn Thermidor which was a close second to the original Skyroom version. On our last very short trip, we didn’t manage to make it to Oh Calcutta so decided to give this a go on Friday…
Coupled with some Butter Rice and the very enjoyable Now You See Me on Amazon, it made for a very fab evening indeed.. The only con is that we won’t look forward to our Prawn Thermidor so much in Calcutta.. perhaps we’ll just replace it with buy xenical online Daab Chingri!!!
- Make a slightly thick white sauce with 30 gms butter, 25 gms flour and 250 ml milk.
- Sauté some finely chopped garlic and shallots in a teeny bit of butter and then add large shelled prawns (heads off, tails on) and sauté fir another 2 minutes till they turn pink. Leave slightly undercooked.
- Add the white sauce to this and salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking dish or individual ramekins and then top with some freshly grated gruyere cheese. If you do not have gruyere then add any other mild cheese – cheddar is too strong and will overpower the Prawn taste.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes till the top is bubbling and is slightly browned.